A customised survey is typically conducted when specific information regarding specialist staff / business practices is needed, within a specific comparator group. This type of survey is usually sponsored by an organisation, with participating organisation receiving a summary report (to encourage participation).
We invite organisations to participate in the survey, with specific reference to the remuneration levels and business practices that are required to be surveyed. This survey could include additional elements, such as conditions of employment, car allowances, benefits, leave practice, as examples.
Typically, a customised survey would run between 6 – 8 weeks, the illustration below provides a summary of the survey process:
At no point would any individual information be divulged to another organisation.
As part of the General Work Permit Application process, the Department of Home Affairs requires the applicant(s) to submit either:
- A certificate by the Department of Labour; or
- An extract from the database of a benchmarking organisation stipulating the salary earned by employees occupying similar positions in the Republic of South Africa.
The Department of Labour and Home Affairs require the certificate to ensure that South African jobs are not given away unnecessarily, and that labour is not imported from other countries when talent is available locally.
Emergence Growth is able to supply such a certificate, with our offering being summarised as follows:
- Able to match over 650 positions within South Africa;
- We provide a comprehensive report covering the salary and benefits of the job / position, within South Africa;
- We have completed over 300 of these certificates, with zero come-backs from the Department of Home Affairs; and
- Our turnaround time for this kind of work, depending on our consultants getting all the compulsory and appropriate information from the applicant is a maximum of 2 working days.
Below is the price list of obtaining a benchmark:
|Price per position (excl. VAT)|
|General staff||R 1,250|
The process is as follows:
- Request template from one of our consultants;
- Complete and return the template to Emergence Growth;
- Pay the invoice; and
- Collect your certificate.
Please CLICK HERE to download the template, once you have completed filling in the template please
Emergence Growth is able to benchmark the remuneration of your staff against our salary survey database. Our survey database covers 180 countries globally, and every country in Africa.
Effectively, we are able to benchmark your staff against every market in Africa and almost all countries globally.
The purpose is to compare your organisation, from a remuneration perspective, against the market. Remuneration consists of both fixed and variable remuneration. The mix of these two kinds of remuneration should promote attracting and retaining talent without creating remuneration gaps. The information obtained is typically used for the following:
- To obtain relevant, accurate, representative data on levels of pay and benefits for specific jobs in the organisation;
- To adjust the pay levels of employees in response to changing market conditions;
- To analyse pay-related problems;
- To set pay mix;
- To decide on starting rates;
- To design and modify salary structures and pay scales;
- To determine acceptable rates of salary progression in pay scales;
- To determine the market rate and range for a position depending on the type and size of the job;
- To provide guidance on pay review decisions and well as salary levels of individual employees; and
- To identify special cases where market rates have to be paid irrespective of position in the hierarchy of the organisation (normally as a result of scarcity of skills).
The type of information that is available is as follows, and are components of the total rewards model:
- Basic salary;
- Cost to Company / Total Package; and
- Short- & Long-term incentive trends.