Job Evaluation and Grading – A vital staff assessment and remuneration tool
Job evaluation and grading is an unbiased process of determining, without regard for personal competency, the intrinsic worth of one job relative to another, making it a vital tool for organisations when establishing salary structures and positions in emerging countries such as Africa and the Middle East.
Here’s how the system works and why it’s important:
- Job evaluation and grading is necessary so as to define the internal relationships and respective roles of managers and employees within a company.
- Jobs are classified according to grades/categories within a specific structure comprising a number of levels. Each level has a description, with associated job titles, and jobs are assigned to the grade/category that provides the closest match. The classification of a position is decided by comparing the job with the appropriate job grading standard.
- A common set of evaluation standards is used to ensure equity in job grading and wage rates. Due to differences in duties, skills, knowledge and education, these are established along occupational lines, and are independent of the position itself.
- These standards describe and assess key characteristics of occupations, which are significant for distinguishing different levels of work. They are defined in a way that provides a basis for assigning the appropriate grade level to all positions within the relevant occupation.
- An organisation’s approach to job evaluation forms a crucial part of the remuneration strategy and should be supported by salary benchmarks.
- Job evaluation and grading systems should be approved by the company and meet the requirements of empirical reliability, consistency, transparency, simplicity, objectivity and credibility.
Emergence Growth is an HR consultancy specialising in all aspects relating to the complex field of human capital in Africa and the Middle East, including job evaluation and grading solutions. We have developed an electronic system of job evaluation – QuikEval. Click on the link, or contact us for more information on job evaluation and grading services.